- Balanced, structured scenes designed specifically for educational use challenge both actors and directors equally with objectives, obstacles, tactics, and subtext;
- Two-page length is ideal for high-intensity exercises and faster-paced workshops;
- Printed in easy-to-read film-script format with plenty of room for notes;
- Scenes are completely original and unencumbered by copyright, so students may film and post legally on the internet;
- Universally castable, so all roles can be played by actors of any gender, appearance, skill level, or ethnicity;
- Accessibly-written for modern students, helping them to focus on the fundamentals of performance and directing;
- Simple and conducive to performing in a classroom without sets, costumes, or special props.
By Dave Kost Routledge 202 pages Paperback: 9781138220553 pub: 2017-08-01
Reviews"Anyone sick of those tired and done-to-death acting scenes will welcome Dave Kost's terrific new collection of bright, edgy, often emotional scenes. Fresh gems for classes and auditions." —John Badham, Professor, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts, Chapman University; Director, Saturday Night Fever (1977), WarGames (1983), Short Circuit (1986), Stakeout (1987) "Always smart, layered and compelling, these scenes are perfectly suited for teaching actors and directors learning to work with actors — with the flexibility to lean toward drama, comedy, or mystery, these scenes offer a deep dive into character nuance and a depth of conflict that serves the exploration of staging and visual storytelling." —Andrew Wagner, Professor, American Film Institute; Director, Starting Out in the Evening (2007), Breakable You (2017) "Dave Kost has developed a one-of-a-kind resource for instructors: short scenes with actual substance. This book is ideal for training actors and directors, with rich material for classroom scene work, auditions or cold readings, and on-camera work. Book of Sides is invaluable and unparalleled." —Andrew Papa, Actor, Assistant Professor, University of Detroit Mercy
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.