Introduction to Cinematography
Learning Through Practice, 1st Edition
By Tania Hoser
396 pages | 450 Color Illus.
Paperback ISBN: 9781138235144 / eBook ISBN: 9781315305318
Introduction to Cinematography offers a practical, stage-by-stage guide to the creative and technical foundations of cinematography. Building from a skills-based approach focused on professional practice, cinematographer and author Tania Hoser provides a step-by-step introduction for both cinematographers and camera assistants to the techniques, processes, and procedures of working with cameras, lenses, and light. She provides hands-on insight into negotiating with production constraints and understanding the essentials of the image workflow from shot to distribution, on projects of any scope and budget.
Richly illustrated, the book incorporates exercises and sample scripts throughout, exploring light, color, movement, ‘blocking’, and pacing scenes. The principles and techniques of shaping and controlling light are applied to working with natural light, film lamps, and, as with all areas of cinematography, to low budget alternatives. This makes Introduction to Cinematography the perfect newcomer’s guide to learning the skills of cinematography that enables seamless progression from exercises through to full feature shoots. Assessment rubrics provide a framework to measure progress as the reader’s ability to visually interpret scripts and enhance the director’s vision develops.
The book also teaches readers:
* To understand and develop the combination of skills and creativity involved in cinematography;
* Photographic principles and how they are applied to control focus exposure, motion blur, and image sharpness;
* To identify the roles and skills of each member of the camera department, and how and when each are required during a shoot;
* The order and process of lighting on all scales of productions and the use and application of the four main types of lamps;
* How to use waveforms, false color, and zebras for monitoring light levels, and meters for guiding exposure choices;
* The principles of the color wheel, color palettes, and the psychological effects of color choices;
* How to shoot for different types of fiction and nonfiction/documentary films and how to apply these skills to other genres of TV and film production;
* Strategies for both starting and progressing your career within cinematography and the camera department.
"One of the most practical and useful books on the art and technique of cinematography for students and working professionals that we have. I highly recommend Tania Hoser’s book for teachers and students of cinematography."
—Deland Nuse, Director/Cinematographer; Lecturer, Department of Film, Television and Digital Media, UCLA
Table of Contents
I. THE CINEMATOGRAPHER’S JOURNEY
Chapter 1: Cinematography: Far more than how to use a camera
II. THE CAMERAPERSON'S JOB
Chapter 2: Cinematography Essentials Part 1: Professional Working Practice
Chapter 3 Cinematography Essentials Part 2: Key Photographic Knowledge
Chapter 4 Cinematography Essentials Part 3: Production Decision
Chapter 5 Cinematography Essentials Part 4: Numbers you need to know
III. STORIES IN SHOTS
Chapter 6 Camera lenses and visual style
Chapter 7 Shots and Storytelling
Chapter 8 Speed and Time
IV. FROM SOLO SHOOTING TO A FULL CREW
Chapter 9 Shooting Solo
Chapter 10 Camera Crew Shooting
V. LIGHT AND LIGHTING
Chapter 11 Lighting Part (1)-Natural / Available Light
Chapter 12 Lighting (2) Creating and Controlling Key Light
Chapter 13 Lighting (3) Lighting Locations or Sets
VI. IMAGE CONTROL AND THE 'LOOK' OF THE FILM
Chapter 14 Image Control
VII. THE BIGGER PICTURE
Chapter 15 The Bigger Picture
About the Author
Tania Hoser started her career as a union apprentice and later worked her way up through the camera grades on feature films and commercials. Tania completed her training at the Royal College of Art, where she won the Kodak and Metz cinematography prizes and shot six award-winning films. During this time, she also had several television commissions as a writer/director. She has taught film, photography, and cinematography at universities in several countries, including the University of the West Indies, Barbados, and Abu Dhabi Women’s College, United Arab Emirates.
Payment & Security
Su información de pago se procesa de forma segura. No almacenamos los detalles de la tarjeta de crédito ni tenemos acceso a la información de su tarjeta de crédito.