- A straightforward, clear and insightful approach to understanding the fundamental basics of how the global distribution marketplace works, and how distribution companies actually operate and create the content they need;
- An insider’s analysis of all levels of the business with an emphasis on the independent scene, the root from where development in the industry grows;
- A comprehensive overview of how film and television markets and festivals work, and how buyers and sellers actually broker deals in the field;
- Detailed explanations of how each media right is defined and windowed to maximize potential revenue;
- A detailed overview of several major international territories, and how each operates within the context of the global media business;
- Guidance and advice from an industry expert on how one can initiate their professional career in the entertainment industry, applicable to individuals in all roles;
- A robust appendix containing in-depth studies of legal definitions, material delivery requirements, territory-by-territory financial projections, and more.
By Scott Kirkpatrick Routledge 242 pages | 50 B/W Illus. Paperback: 9781138297357 pub: 2018-09-04
Table of ContentsAcknowledgements Disclaimer Introduction Chapter One – The Principles of Media Distribution Chapter Two – Developing and Distributing Media Content Before it Exists Chapter Three – The Acquisition of Finished Content Chapter Four – Negotiating and Brokering Content Distribution Deals Chapter Five – Windowing Rights and Strategizing Releases Chapter Six – Global Media Distribution Chapter Seven – Marketing, Metrics and Audience Cultivation Chapter Eight – Accounting Practices, Monetization and Business Structures Chapter Nine – Practical Approaches for Kick-Starting Your Career Appendices
- Appendix I: List of Exploitable Rights with Definitions
- Appendix II: Materials Delivery Schedule with Definitions
- Appendix III: Projections Form & Schedule of Minimums
- Appendix IV: Metadata Forms
Reviews"A real development ‘Bible.’ An entertaining and extremely informative read that provides a practical insider’s perspective of the entertainment industry. It will appeal to both entertainment business and creative hopefuls as well as seasoned professionals." —Amy Sauertieg, M.A., Lecturer in Communications, Penn State University, USA "Too many of those studying to enter the film and TV industries with ambitions to express themselves creatively—as writers or directors—fail to appreciate the complexity and significance of the content acquisition and distribution business and how much influence is exerted through this buyer’s market. For them, Kirkpatrick’s book should be mandatory reading." —Stephen Gordon, Program Leader, BSc (Hons) Film Production Technology, Birmingham City University, UK "Understanding the principles behind the distribution of film and TV within the industry is crucial in preparing our own content for the world. Scott's book breaks down this complex business and makes it both simple, and relevant to producers like ourselves. A must-have for any content producer." —Noah and Brigham Sunday, Co-Founders of StoryBox Studios "The Pulitzer Prize-winner E.O. Wilson once wrote, ‘We are drowning in information while starving for wisdom.’ The same could be said for filmmakers who are ‘drowning in the production of content while starving for answers on how to distribute their content effectively.’ Kirkpatrick’s book provides this much-needed wisdom." —Scott McMahon, Founder of Film Trooper Podcast; Author of How to Make and Sell Your Film Online and Survive the Hollywood Implosion While Doing It "Media distribution is the piece of the puzzle that separates Hollywood players from Hollywood wannabes. I am in awe of Scott Kirkpatrick's deep understanding of the content market and his ability to snap it all into place." —John Ott, makingthemovie.com "Many filmmakers mistakenly rush to market without having a solid plan for distribution. This book provides the necessary foundation for how distribution works, so you can avoid common pitfalls and improve the chances for ROI. It is a recommended read for any filmmaker who wants to ‘level up’ their career." —Jason Brubaker, Film Distribution Executive, Founder of Filmmaking Stuff
Payment & Security
Su información de pago se procesa de forma segura. No almacenamos los detalles de la tarjeta de crédito ni tenemos acceso a la información de su tarjeta de crédito.