Master classic and cutting-edge Foley techniques that will allow you to create rich, convincing sound for any medium, be it film, television, radio, podcasts, animation, or games.
Vanessa Theme Ament, Award-winning Foley Artist and Sound Designer
* New edition features three entirely new chapters, including one dedicated to Foley "recipes" featuring proven Foley methods you can immediately use on your own project
* Other updates include a brand new chapter on Foley in games, a new chapter on Foley in animation, renewed attention paid to the role Foley plays in television, new interviews with new Foley artists, and much more
* Companion website includes video demonstrations of Foley artists at work, video tutorials of specific Foley techniques and more Master classic and cutting-edge Foley techniques that will allow you to create rich, convincing sound for any medium, be it film, television, radio, podcasts, animation, or games. In The Foley Grail, Second Edition award-winning Foley artist Vanessa Theme Ament teaches you how Foley is designed, crafted, and edited for any project, right down to the nuts and bolts of spotting, cueing, and performing sounds. Various renowned sound artists provide a treasure trove of shortcuts, hot tips, and other tricks of the trade.
This new edition features:
- Entirely new chapters dedicated to Foley in games, television, broadcasting, and animation, as well as what is new in sound for media education
- All new sound "recipes" that include proven Foley methods you can immediately use on your own projects
- New case studies from well-known films, shows, games, and animations
- Interviews with current sound artists from across the globe
- An extensive companion website featuring video demonstrations of Foley artists at work, video tutorials of specific Foley techniques, lectures from the author, and much more
"Ever wonder how Foley sound effects are added to films and what props you need to set up a Foley stage? Curious about how sound effects are edited, how Foley artists select their shoes, or how the sounds for video games differ from those of motion pictures? You will find the answers to all these questions and more in The Foley Grail, Second Edition, Vanessa Theme Ament’s savvy but eminently readable book. No one interested in film sound can afford to be without it."
-- Rick Altman, Emeritus Professor, University of Iowa; Author, Silent Film Sound and A Theory of Narrative
"This book is entertaining, informative and an absolute must-read for everyone who wants to make a career in sound, as well as being a very handy lesson for anyone involved in production on whatever level – and a particularly valuable aid for 'media' course tutors."
-- Wendy Laybourn, Network Nine News
"Thanks to this publication, sound is appraised as a subjective art form. So whether you’re a novice (i.e. “what even is Foley?”) or a whizz (“pfft, why do I need to read about Jack?”), there truly is much to learn from this book. Seek the Foley Grail."
- Matt Howsam, Raindance.org
"Comprising a virtual master class on leading-edge Foley techniques, The Foley Grail covers just about everything a practitioner or observer of the Foley process would need to create convinving sounds for a variety of film and television...a must-have test for any post professional's bookshelf."
- Mel Lambert, CineMontage
Contents: Holy Foley: The Evolution of a Craft; Noise vs. Sound: Foley as it is Used in the Various Genrres and Styles of Film, Animation, and Games; Single or Married: Foley Used Independently or Combined with Sound Effects; Fire in the Hole: The Players and Their Responsibilities; Let's Go Ahead and Go Back: Spotting and Cueing; Scene Change: The Foley Stage, Mixing Booth, and Prop Room; Walking in Their Shoes: Performing the Footsteps; What we Use For...: Performing the Props; Hang It As a Unit: The Knack for Sync; Magic Wind: Unusual Foley Requests; Mix and Match: The Foley Mixer; I Miss Mag: Editing Foley; Fix it in Post: The Dub; The Ivory Tower: The Film School; Checkski: Final Thoughts of Experts; New chapter; New Chapter; New chapter
Payment & Security
Su información de pago se procesa de forma segura. No almacenamos los detalles de la tarjeta de crédito ni tenemos acceso a la información de su tarjeta de crédito.